Sunday 1 January 2012

Some thoughts about the 1st 3 months of my life in India

Here's an interesting conversation I had with a fellow YWAMer the other day.

"I miss hot water.  In Canada, we have hot water all the time."
"Where does your hot water come from?"
*scratch head* "That's a good question.  To be honest, I don't know.... out of the tap?"

Context: I had been taking cold water showers for 2 months and I had built up the habit of bracing myself before pouring the 1st pail of water on my head.  At that time I was washing super greasy dishes with cold water.

It's amazing how we don't know what we're missing out on until we lose it.  I was enjoying so many luxuries in Canada (AND in China) without me even being cognizant of it.

I didn't realize how clean and fresh the air is.  Very rarely will you see vehicles billowing black smoke and breathe in auto fumes while walking on the streets.  After all, there's Air Care.  Who woulda thought I'd appreciate AirCare after coming here?

I didn't realize how refreshing our breeze is in the summer time.  It's so dusty here that a breeze will often carry dust and debris, so I have to shield my eyes from the breeze at times.

I didn't realize how much variety we had in restaurants.  After all, Korean, Japanese, Italian, "Canadian," Chinese (all kinds!), and Vietnamese were just a short walk away from my home in Richmond or a bus ride away in Dalian.  Now I can only dream of eating authentic Chinese food. 

Now don't get me wrong.  I love India.  It's not so much the piece of land, but the people here.  I've experienced so much love and care from the people I've met.  I love the vibrant culture, the bright colours, the hospitality, and the dancing.

Oh, the DANCING!  I had quite a crazy night last week at the Indian-style Christmas program.  After all the dance performances, skits, and the short message, we had a dance party!  It was SO much fun, with everyone dancing together, from age 5 to 60.  I don't like dancing too much in the Western context because it's often sexualized, but I enjoyed dancing in the Indian context immensely.  The girls dance with girls, and the boys with boys.  I also danced with little kids.  Often the women would join hands and dance in a circle, stepping towards the middle for the downbeat.  The funny thing is that 4 people commented to me that I'm good at dancing when I think that I really suck!  Maybe they're just impressed that a non-Indian can dance Indian style. 

Well, that's all for now.  Happy new year to all my beloved friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment