Wednesday 13 March 2013

My Sweet Little Ones


The little ones have really taught me about showing love to others.  One of the amazing things about Indian culture is their generosity.  I mentioned in a previous post that Indian culture is very family and community oriented.  Sometimes the kids’ relatives give them some pocket money and they spend 10 cents buying snacks on the way home from church.  When they get a pack of biscuits, they immediately run up to me and pop a biscuit into my mouth.  I don’t like getting fed because I have no idea what those grubby little hands have touched, but I accept their affection gratefully.  Some kids buy 2 pieces of peanut brittle (often made in balls instead of sheets here) and feed me 1.  Their generosity puts to me shame.  When I have snacks like butter cookies or a chocolate bar, I often eat in secret because I don’t want to share.  I want it all for myself.  I will eat while the kids are in school so they don’t see me. 

A few weeks ago, I was in bed with a slight fever.  The kids came in waves to pray for me.  What’s beautiful is that no one told them to!  One of the girls, 10-year-old Sailaja looked for a face towel to wet to put on my forehead while another 9-year-old filled my water bottle.  The oldest girl supervised the kids during homework time, ensuring that they stayed quiet and everyone finished their homework.  Then the girls came back and Sailaja dipped my towel in water again to keep it cool.  It’s so touching to have the tables turn & the kids take care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment