Tuesday 3 July 2012

Ganesh



I take my buckets down to the outdoor tap the minute I wake up because a) there's only running water from 6-12pm; and b) I want to use the relatively warm tap water to shower instead of water that has gotten super cold from sitting in my bathroom overnight.


I return to my room, and within minutes, the buckets return to my room full.  Once again, Ganesh takes the initiative to serve others.  He's 18 and in gr.8.  He had epilepsy and as a result of his seizures, he couldn't attend school for 6 years.  He started school late and has difficulty speaking clearly.  No matter what curve balls life has thrown at him, Ganesh has a wonderful heart of service.  When it rains or when it's windy, a whole bunch of leaves and dirt get deposited on the veranda outside my room.  Every time he carries water to my room (I don't have running water) and finds the tiled veranda dirty, he asks me if I want him to clean it.  I tell him that he can if he wants to, but I can do it myself.  He then proceeds to clean the veranda joyfully and thoroughly.






When he sees me filling a bucket with water to wash my clothes, he asks, "soap" and gets me the detergent.  When he sees me squeezing water out of towels or bedsheets, he runs to help me.  He has such a gift of service, and what's more amazing is that he's always joyful when he's serving others.  So many times I'll hear him singing or humming as he's doing chores or running errands.

Ganesh is also very earnest and diligent.  Even when facing mundane tasks that the teacher gives him for homework like copying paragraphs, he concentrates on the task and does not get distracted when the other kids are talking.  We started reading Genesis during group devotions and he was so into the Word that he read ahead.  When I was doing laundry, he came over to me and started summarizing Abram’s life.  This morning we carried water together up to my second-story room twice and both times, he continued summarizing what he read. 

One time, I asked about his family and found out that when he was really young his dad left his mom.  Later on, he got married to someone else and they started a family.  His mom works at a college as a janitor.  She works from 4am-7pm every day, but is only compensated $50/month.  Ganesh’s dad doesn’t really contact him & the last time he saw him was 4 years ago.  From what I know, most children of divorced families don’t have the privilege of spending time with both parents in this culture.  Because Ganesh’s mom works such long hours and she makes so little, she sent him to stay at our children’s home.  


Ganesh is just one of the kids I’m able to learn from.  I’m learning how to serve more and how to go to that lowest place of humility.  I'm learning how to be content with less.  These kids are so wonderful, and I’m incredibly privileged to be taking care of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment