Thursday 30 August 2012

Stars that Splatter the Sky




Aka, eipenda? (Older sister, finished?)” the eight-year-old in front of me queries.

            “Almost done, chile (younger sister),” I reply.  I scrutinize the fine-toothed comb in my hands and find a tiny black blob.  Sticking my fingernails into the tight space between the teeth of the comb, I endeavour to get the blob out.  I dip the comb into the pail of water to clean it thoroughly.

            “Aka, me too!” another voice pipes up. 

            I look up to see the chaos before me.  Some children are waiting patiently; others are busy scooping water with pails out of the water tank into buckets (we have no running water) to prepare to wash their hair; still others are impatiently crowding around me demanding that they be next.

            A week after our 20 children arrived at the children’s home, I was doing the girls’ hair and I made a horrific discovery: lice.  I had never thought to check everyone’s hair when they first arrived.  I always assume that people don’t have lice, and not the opposite.  It never even occurred to me to check.  I should have known.  I’ve encounterd a lot of kids with lice and I’ve heard that most village kids have it. 

            Since then I’ve been washing the 5 girls’ hair with lice shampoo every day, every time I’m at the school.  It’s taken a lot of cajoling and persuasion to get them to cooperate.  They don’t see is as a big issue because they’re used to it.  I mean, everyone has it, why not jump on the bandwagon?  The girl who was the least reluctant to cooperate had 100 big fat adult lice combed out of her hair during the 1st hour!  If her thick black hair is as dark as the midnight sky, then the nits in her hair are as numerous as the stars.  And I’m talking about the stars you can see when there’s an electricity cut and there’s absolutely no light pollution.

Just yesterday, boys approached me to get their hair combed.  I haven’t combed every boy’s hair yet, but out of the 6 heads I combed, 5 had lice.  Fantastic.  Now half the children at our children’s home have lice.  I might as well take on the position as the licerminator.  I’ve seen lice in every shape and size.  The baby ones are transparent, but they’re red if they just had their breakfast.  As they group up they turn gray and then eventually, black. 

            The problem is multifold.  First of all, the medicated shampoo isn’t strong enough and it’s intended to “stun the lice” so you can comb it out.  The first thing I’m going to do in Canada is to get some strong lice shampoo that actually kills the lice.  Another problem is that all the kids sleep on the floor on bamboo mats.  Because they sleep so close to each other, I get them to sleep in alternate directions.  However, some of them rotate 180 degrees, and by the time I wake them up the next morning, their heads are touching other kids’ heads.

            Not only does sleeping on the floor exacerbate the lice epidemic, but it also can be dangerous for the kids.  Last Friday, we spotted a 1m long snake near the bathrooms.  Later, we were playing a group clapping game with all the kids sitting in a circle on the veranda when suddenly one of the older boys jumped up in fear.  He had discovered a scorpion on the veranda!  Snakes, scorpions, and centipedes (whose bites are terribly painful, as I discovered in Feb) are common where the school is located.  We are the only settlement in a 2km radius, and we’re surrounded by forests and fields.  Beds.  A simple solution.  We trust that God will provide for them soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment