Wednesday 1 August 2012

Baking in Rural India



I’ve been wanting to make these peanut butter cookies from a mix I got as a care package from New York, so I kept waiting for electricity to be more stable.  (There have been power cuts for at least 2 hours every single day of the 6.5 weeks I’ve been here) One day, we had power in the morning, and we had power in the afternoon.  I thought we’d for sure have power at night, so I started making the cookies.  When I was putting them on the cookie sheet, the power goes out.  I’m lucky the power didn’t go out while they were baking!  Fun times J

A few days later, I wanted to bake again, but there was a lot of burnt stuff in oven, so I decided to clean it.  I brought it to the outdoor tap and started using a wet rag to clean it.  Jagadeesh sees me and asks, “aka, help?”  Seconds later, Ganesh comes and tells Jagadeesh to go and rest, saying that he could help me clean the oven.  Since they both were so eager to help, I let them work on it and went to prepare my baking supplies. 

We brought the oven indoors near an electric outlet, and I plugged it in.  I tried to open the door of the oven and felt a minor shock.  I barely noticed it because I experience the same on a frigid and dry day when I take off a coat.  The oven was tilted and about to fall off the stool we placed it on (the current kitchen we use doesn’t have counter tops), and I tried to straighten it.  Suddenly my knees buckled and I screamed involuntarily.  Some teenagers ran up to me, and asked me what was wrong.  That’s when I realized I just experienced a huge electric shock.  I had only touched the outside of the oven, but I didn’t know that it’d give me an electric shock.  I felt pain where the electricity entered my body through my hand & left through my feet.  Then they left the oven under the fan for half a day to dry it.  When I tried baking that night, I plugged everything in and turned it on before plugging in the cord in.  Luckily I didn’t get a shock again.  There are so many 1sts in India, some pleasant, but some not so pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment